College. I don't think high school prepared me enough. In high school if I went and payed attention and studied just a little I could get A's. Here...we're not spoon fed.
I find myself constantly unsure if what i'm doing is actually real. I've looked up to being at BYU for so long that now that I'm here...it feels off. Not bad off, just different off. BYU is an amazing school, and i'm glad my father works here so I could come. It's amazing what a blessing half tuition is.
Campus is beautiful. There are pretty walkways, the gardens and buildings are very well taken care of. My favorite building (i have several actually) but my absolute favorite is the Joseph F smith building. I don't even have a class in it but I walk by it about a zillion times a day. The spirit here is also astounding. The first week I was here I couldn't believe how many people would smile or say hi while you walked past. It is like there is this need and spirit pushing you to try to uplift everyone here.
My classes are evil and are as follows: Physical Science, Fitness and Lifestyle Management, American Heritage, Psychology and Book of Mormon. Death in a wonderful package. Actually things aren't too bad. I enjoy going to class...most classes and even love learning. The problem is the tests. I will get over that problem soon I hope. It's already past midterms, I take my last one tomorrow. I've met so many people in each class. I've even made some good friends! Guess it pays to sit next to cute boys too.
My roommates are all awesome. We all get along mainly and the only problem I find is the mess. I am sooo grateful to my clean mother. We're all working on it though, and someday we'll be able to eat off the floor like I want. Kaitlyn is my 'room' roommate and I love her to death. I don't get to see her very often because she's a studyaholic. I enjoy our late night talks and singing sessions and just plain having a sister around. What a blessing our friendship has been this first hard month.
Believe it or not I don't get to go home often. It's not that long of a drive, but I find it easier to stay in the rhythm of my life here. Going back reminds me of so many things I wish I was a part of. I miss my brothers so much. Taylor for his solid (tall and skinny more like) hugs and the talks on his bed, Mitch because he's the only brother of mine that will get crazy with me, and Spencer for his kind 'hellos'. My mothers stops by every once in awhile to bring me food (so I don't die) and to talk. I miss my mom hugs, and the way she always handles situations. I do get to see my dad. We went out last week to get some 'J DAWGS' which was really fun. Sometimes I wish I could just go visit him in his office but a lot of the time I don't have...time. I'll work on that though. Maybe surprise him with cinnamon bears or black liquorish.
Feeding myself has gone rather well. I am eating healthy at least, well, I eat hardly any variety but I stay away from junk food like the plague. It helps when you're living with a future nutrition major health freak. I eat a lot of chicken dishes, and a lot of pasta. The main thing though is pancakes. I eat then at least once a day (sometimes twice...)
The 'boy' part of byu is interesting. I've been on a handful of dates, only with on RM....haha my dad is insistent I don't even talk to them. I do miss Zach though. He's still up in Wyoming playing soccer. I did get to visit him last weekend and had a blast. I was able to stay at my aunt Denise and Dana's house and they were so kind to me and helped me so much. It was nice to see where Zach was living too. I miss that boy...but I guess this is just preparing me for my mission. Weekly skype sessions help too.
That's about it right now, we'll see what more fun things happen later!
2 comments:
Brilliant summary!! That is absolutely correct... all of it haha!! College is hard. But I am so glad I have you with me :) That has made the hard parts bearable. Thanks Jess.. Love you forever!
Jessica, sounds like you are having fun! College is an adjustment. But who helped you pick your schedule? You have LOTS of BIG classes with LOTS of READING! No wonder you don't have any time! Don't do that to yourself. A big part of college life, is the college life! You need to have time to enjoy the blessing of being at BYU and the blessing of having fun spending TIME with friends. I can help you pick your schedule for next semester if you want. :) Who cares if you graduate in 5 years verses 3! You will have had fun going to college before entering "the real world" where you will just have to go to work every day. NO FUN! :D Let me know if you need anything. And enjoy the boys at BYU. There are lots of good ones. If things are meant to work out with the boy, he will be there when the time is right and you will have had fun along the way. And if not, then there is nothing lost! Love ya!
Post a Comment